Your garage door is the most vital moving part of your home, so you need to take care of it and do regular maintenance to ensure it lasts as long as possible. Asking questions like can you replace a garage door without changing the rails? Are the company’s rails adjustable? is vital. If you’re not sure about these, you may need to hire a professional to replace your garage door.
However, if you are confident that you can successfully handle this DIY project, with the help of a couple of friends you can easily install a new garage door. Let’s dig deeper to learn more about replacing an old garage door and installing a new one with ease.
Step 1: Removing the old door
- Using your garage door opener, raise it as high as you can. It is crucial to get the lifting mechanisms out of the way before you remove the door. Lock the door using locking pliers. Once it is fixed, it won’t move again.
- Connect safety cables to extension springs. Make sure the spring and the track are tightly bundled together with a cord. Take the lifting cable out of the bottom bracket. Once the door is sealed, use pliers to remove the cable from the bracket on the bottom door panel.
- Step away from the door and lower it. Let the door rest entirely on the floor while pulling it down. Remove the rollers and brackets from the door panels safely.
Step 2: Install the first panel and track
- Install weatherstripping on the bottom panel of the door. Place the panel on a workbench and cover its base with the strip. Attach brackets over weatherstripping. Then, take an electric screwdriver and install a pair of coarse-thread lag screws into the brackets.
- Put the panel into the door and stand it up. Ensure the bottom of the door is as level as possible with the ground before installation. Put hinges on both ends of the door panel. Attach the rollers to the hinges and brackets. Ensure, the door panels should not interface with rollers.
- Wrap the track around each wheel. Fit the wheels into the track, then hold the track piece against the floor. Mount the track to the doorframe. Make sure there is a small gap between the track and the frame of the door. With lag screws, attach the track’s brackets to the frame.
Step 3: Adding panels and tracks
- Attach the second door panel to the hinges. To install the hinges, follow the same steps you used for the first panel. Keep the hinge on each side off until the panel is in place every time you set a new panel.
- On top of the first panel, stack the second panel and secure the hinges. Place the roller into the hinge before fitting the remaining hinge. Next, attach the hinge to the wheel. You need to attach a second track on the other side of the door. Make sure the bolts holding both tracks in place are tight.
- Track the horizontal section to the vertical area. Fasten the track sections together with bolts and tighten them. Place the other door panels.
- Match the top hinges and rollers with the curling rack. It is best to place the last hinge partway down the door panel. Place the wheels on the track first, then screw the hinges into place.
Step 4: Installing the spring system
- You need to lift the door. Look if it lifted smoothly. You’ll have to do it again if it does not lift smoothly. You’ll need a partner to lift the door all the way up so you can hang the springs.
- Put the locking pliers on the door to secure it. Set the vice-grips on the track and clamp their jaws. Test the door by pulling it down a little. Ideally, it should rest on top of the vice-grips and be unable to slide further down.
- To make the lifting system stronger, install a torsion spring and bar. The easiest way to get a garage door working is to invest in a tensioning system that is easy to use. Follow the instructions included with the plan to install it above the door.
- To reduce installation costs, run cable through extension springs. Rather than using torsion springs, use this system so that you can hook the springs onto the angle iron above the track. Place steel cable on the bracket after passing it through the pulleys at the end of the curved portion of the track.
It is good to replace a garage door if it is more than 20 years old. Using a new door is safer and more accessible. Install an entirely new garage door by following the step-by-step instructions mentioned above. Remember to measure the length and width of your existing door before custom ordering a new one. You can get the measurements taken at any home improvement store. Avoid putting a new door on old tracks since this can create an unsafe situation.