Oppenheimer movie release date
A long time has passed since Hollywood has come up with a movie as great as “Oppenheimer”. Oppenheimer includes the work of Christopher Nolan, a famed director of the industry and has previously made distinctive movies such as “Interstellar” and “The Batman Dark Knight” series. The movie “Oppenheimer” was premiered worldwide in theatres on 21 July 2023 which has compelled people to rush towards the multiplexes and theatres. But many viewers are unaware of the fact that this movie was already released once on July 11, 2023, at Le Grand Rex, Paris. The movie so far has received a positive response from viewers and has been strongly recommended by all to view the movie which is based on a historical event that questions humankind till today.
Don’t skip this if you are determined to watch Oppenheimer
- You must have come across the name Oppenheimer or Manhattan Project. If not, then you must have at least read in history or heard somewhere about two atom bombs that shook the core of Japan by devastating two entire cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. This event led to the surrender of Japan in the second world war.
- Also, it raised ethical questions on humanitarian grounds and questions about the usage of such catastrophic weapons in war. J. Robert Oppenheimer is known as the father of the atomic bomb and this movie elaborates on his life and thoughts. Julius Robert Oppenheimer was an American citizen of German and Jewish descent. He was born in New York on April 22, 1904, and was the director of Los Alamos Laboratory during the second world war.
- The main reason why he is regarded as the “father of the atomic bomb” is due to his role in developing the first nuclear weapon in the Manhattan Project. He is a highly qualified individual who has studied at premier like Harvard College where he majored in Chemistry later he also pursued higher education at institutes such as Christ’s College, Cambridge, and the University of Göttingen as a theoretical physicist.
A little brief about Oppenheimer movie
The work on the movie initially began on September 2021 by Universal Pictures. The movie is directed by Christopher Nolan and is majorly based on the biography of J.R Oppenheimer written by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin. Peaky Blinder show’s famed star Cillian Murphy is seen here portraying J. Robert Oppenheimer and has justified the role pretty well. British actress Emily Blunt is seen opposite Cillian Murphy as Katherine Oppenheimer or “Kitty”, his wife. There are also many other characters that have played pivotal roles in the movie whose details are given below. Oppenheimer is a historic movie and can be perceived as how it has changed humanity negatively as well as positively. The two-hour movie experience is really enough to challenge the existence of humankind in the first place. Critics are already praising Christopher Nolan’s work for his screenplay, direction, and casting.
Oppenheimer movie cast
- There is a lot of hard work included in creating movies as great as Oppenheimer. Hundreds of cast and crew members work tirelessly for years to deliver you the end result in the promised time. Including the names of all people involved either directly or indirectly impossible still are the names of some important cast members that will create an impactful image of the movie in your mind. The movie is filled with many historic references and casts numerous scientists and physicists which the world will rarely witness in the upcoming years. It depicts the role of people involved in making the Manhattan Project a successful one.
- This is a nearly two-hour movie and is directed by well-known director Christopher Nolan. He is also the co-producer of the movie along with Emma Thomas and Charles Roven. The whole movie has been edited by the team of Jennifer Lame while the music has been given by Ludwig Göransson. The names of other cast of actors, actresses, and support roles have been given below:
Cillian Murphy as J. Robert Oppenheimer – All those viewers who were anticipating another season of Peaky Blinder, your Tommy Shelby has returned with a bang but in another project called Oppenheimer. Cillian Murphy shares a close bond with the director Christopher Nolan and has previously worked in his ” The Dark Knight Trilogy” project as “Scarecrow”. Cillian Murphy, the Irish actor is playing the lead role here of Julius Robert Oppenheimer and to believe the news, he has lost a significant amount of weight to fit in his role. Like always here also fans are fascinated about his role in the movie and are highly appreciating his talent. You really cannot imagine any other actor that would have even made a close resemblance to J. Oppenheimer than him.
Emily Blunt as Katherine Oppenheimer – The role of the wife of J. Oppenheimer is played by British actress Emily Blunt. In the movie, Katherine Oppenheimer is also referred to as “Kitty” numerous times. Kitty hailed from a noble family in Germany and her marriage with Dr Oppenheimer was the third one. Previously she was married to Joe Dallet and Frank Ramseyer. She briefly worked at Los Alamos as a lab technician while Oppenheimer was the director of the same institution. The couple had two children named Peter and Toni. After her husband’s death, Kitty moved in with Robert Serber, who was her family friend. She spent her last days in Panama before succumbing to pulmonary disease.
Matt Damon as Leslie Groves – American actor Matt Damon is playing the role of Leslie Groves, a military engineer in the U.S. Army. Born in Albany, New York, Leslie was of British descent. He first met Oppenheimer at the University of California where he discussed the making and projection of a nuclear weapon with him. He was one of the people leading the Manhattan Project. He did serve the army post war and during his career, he climbed up many ladders and promotions within the Army ranks. He finally retired from the services in 1965 and died 5 years later due to cardiac arrest in 1970. Hanford Site, a location in Washington, is memorialized in his name.
Robert Downey Jr. as Lewis Strauss – Robert Downey Jr, the name is enough to drag people out of their homes to watch this masterpiece movie. Robert Downey Jr doesn’t need any introduction, he is playing the role of Lewis Strauss who was the Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission while the nuclear project was underway. Strauss was a Jewish immigrant from Germany and was a shoe businessman in the early years of his career. He was keen on the field of physics but due to the 1913 financial crisis could not attend college to fulfill his dreams. He also worked as an investment banker briefly before finding his way into the Navy’s Department of Ordnance for mass production of weapons. Then-president of the United States appointed him as the Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission. He and Oppenheimer were never on the same page. Strauss looked at Oppenheimer as someone who had forgotten his Jewish heritage. He worked as a check on Oppenheimer’s movements and considered him a threat to National integrity. He spent his last days in Virginia where he died from lymphosarcoma. When you will watch the movie you will be thrilled to watch Robert Downey in such a role that we as a user are not habitual to see other than Ironman.
Jack Quaid as Richard Feynman – These two names must be familiar to you. Jack Quaid is none other than Hughie Campbell from the Amazon Prime series “The Boys”. He has also worked in other popular projects such as Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, The Hunger Games, and voiced in Batman: The Long Halloween first part. Our clumsy character from “The Boys” Hughie, is playing the role of another great American theoretical physicist and a noble prize winner, Richard Feynman. Feynman was also from a Jewish background and explained the behavior of subatomic particles. In the Manhattan Project, while he was yet to graduate, he was interned and tasked to produce enriched Uranium for the atomic bomb. Jack Quaid is seen here portraying the role of young Feynman while he was working in Los Alamos Laboratory along with Oppenheimer.
Florence Pugh as Jean Tatlock – British actress Florence Pugh is portraying the works of Jean Tatlock through her acting skills in the Oppenheimer movie. She has previously worked in dozens of movies and shows, her iconic role includes Yelena Belova in the Marvel Black Widow movie. Jean Frances Tatlock was an American psychiatrist and physician who shared a romantic relationship with Dr. Oppenheimer during the Manhattan Project. Sources suggest that Dr. Oppenheimer proposed her twice but she declined his offer at both instances. They both first met at Berkeley where she was a graduating student and Oppenheimer was her professor. She died at the young age of 29 on 5, 1944 when her body was discovered by her father in the bathroom along with a suicide note. She had a medical history of clinical depression and was undergoing a cure for the same at UCSF Medical Center.
Casey Affleck as Boris Pash – Casey Affleck played many roles in movies such as “To Die For”, “Ocean’s Twelve”, “A Ghost Story”, and “The Finest Hours” is playing the role of Boris Pash in Oppenheimer movie. Boris Pash is a US military intelligence officer who was summoned to find out Oppenheimer’s involvement in espionage due to his links with the Communist Party. Later, he was not found guilty by him, and it was Pash who recommended that his stay was crucial for the execution of the Manhattan Project.
Josh Hartnett as Ernest Lawrence – Joshua Daniel Hartnett is a young American actor who is portraying the role of Ernest Lawrence. Ernest Orlando Lawrence was a Noble Prize winner in the year 1939. He is an American Physicist who is best known for his work on uranium-isotope separation that paced the Manhattan Project.
Kenneth Branagh as Niels Bohr – Veteran Hollywood actor Kenneth Branagh is playing the role of notable physicist Niels Bohr in the movie. Niels Bohr is another Noble Prize laureate who made a significant contribution to the field of understanding atomic structure and proposed the quantum theory.
Dylan Arnold as Frank Oppenheimer – The role of the younger brother of Dr. J. Oppenheimer is played by Dylan Arnold who has worked in many movies and TV shows. Unlike his brother, Frank was a particle physicist who worked as a professor at the University of Colorado. He assisted his brother in the famed Manhattan Project and made significant contributions to uranium enrichment.
Benny Safdie as Edward Teller – Benny Safdie is an American actor, director, and screenwriter. He is playing the role of a Hungarian theoretical physicist named Edward Teller. He was also a Jewish who later moved to the States for better opportunities. In the year 1942, he was invited to be part of the Manhattan Project to which he agreed.
Tom Conti as Albert Einstein – Tommaso Antonio Conti, a Scottish actor, is playing the role of prominent theoretical physicist Albert Einstein. Albert was also born in a Jewish family and visited the US during the 1030s because he did not want to return to Germany which at that time was at the peak of the Nazi strike. He chose to teach at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. All other scientists along with Albert who had taken asylum in the US warned the country about the “race to build the atomic bomb” because Hitler too was looking for opportunities to be the first one to build the weapon of destruction.
Matthias Schweighöfer as Werner Heisenberg – German actor and filmmaker Matthias Schweighöfer, is seen here playing the role of another prominent theoretical physicist Werner Heisenberg. He is also a Noble Prize laureate of 1032 for “the creation of quantum mechanics”.
Oppenheimer movie storyline and plot
- The movie depicts the story of “the father of the atomic bomb” Dr. Oppenheimer who initially was very motivated in creating a nuclear weapon but later buries in his own grief and repentance for creating a weapon that is capable of wiping down whole humanity.
- The story of the movie begins with Cillian Murphy as Dr. Oppenheimer who returns from Germany after completing his PhD from the University of Göttingenand begins teaching Quantum Physics as a professor at the University of California, Berkeley. It is at this University he befriends many prominent scientists from that time. He is able to know the exact happenings that occur after a star dies which diverts his study towards the creation of an Atom bomb. He is able to dig out more into the field of nuclear fission and clearly identify the difference between being a theorist and implementing it.
- In another part of the world, Hitler attacks Poland which marks the beginning of the Second World War. This compels him to accelerate more about the making of deadly weapons. The United State authorities send Leslie Groves to Oppenheimer to instigate the Manhattan Project. The role of Leslie Groves in this movie is played by Matt Damon. Manhattan Project was started and funded by UK, Canada, and USA to create atomic bombs. Los Alamos a location in New Mexico is chosen by Oppenheimer as suitable for the project where he brings other scientists on board along with their families. Roughly after 2 years time and spending around 2.5 billion dollars, they are able to succeed in making the atomic bombs. The United States is able to assert its dominance after it ended the Second World War by dropping two bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
- Oppenheimer on realizing that he is partially responsible for the deaths of over 2lakh people becomes a little delusional. “Oppenheimer the father of atomic bomb” were the lines from the newspaper that shook Dr. Oppenheimer to the very core of his soul. The Military authorities now have a hunger for more power and approach him to create Hydrogen Bomb. Oppenheimer feels that creating such catastrophic weapons would jeopardize Earth’s existence and declines the offer.
- Lewis Strauss played by Robert Downey Jr was always critical of Oppenheimer’s ventures and to avenge his insult he falsely accused Oppenheimer to be a Communist agent. Strauss was pretty sure it was he who had provoked Albert Einstein against him. At that crucial time, Oppenheimer is already depressed and to add to his misery all of his colleagues abandon him one after another. Days pass by one after another and Dr Oppenheimer is freed from all charges and allegations. Later he is awarded for his contribution to the field of atomic sciences. In the last scene of the movie, a full conversation between Sir Albert Einstein and Dr. Oppenheimer is shown where he reveals to Albert Einstein that he has created such a weapon that is ever impending and very difficult to curb.
Oppenheimer movie reviews and ratings.
Though a highly rated movie, Oppenheimer is such a movie that you can enjoy without looking for reviews and ratings. Famed actors like Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Quaid, Emily Blunt, and all other actors already bring along a mass number of our viewers who are driven by their previous works in movies, tv shows, or web series. It is a historical movie that depicts the dilemma of the “father of the atomic bomb” who is grief-stricken after creating a weapon of mass destruction. It has been rated 9/10 on the famous IMDb platform on the first day of its release while other platforms such as Rotten Tomatoes have given 94% followed by Google reviews with 4.1 after a countless number of ratings.
Oppenheimer movie budget and box office collection
Oppenheimer movie video trailer that was released on Universal Studio’s official Youtube channel has breached the 45 million mark within just a few days after its release. The movie was made with an initial budget of $80 million USD but was later increased to $100 million USD to meet up for the marketing expenses. So far the movie has crossed the budget and has generated a revenue of $120 million USD. The estimated collection for the movie in the upcoming days stands at around $700 to $800 million USD.
Here are FAQs regarding the Oppenheimer movie
1. What was the religion of Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer?
Robert Oppenheimer was born and brought up in a Jewish family in the USA but he was inclined towards Hinduism and frequently read books related to Hindu mythology, Sanskrit, and culture. In the famous video of Dr. Oppenheimer, that circulated after the Japan bombing, he is seen quoting verses from the sacred books of Hindus, “The Bhagwat Geeta” before addressing.
Even for his role for Oppenheimer, Cillian Murphy read “The Bhagwat Geeta” and was deeply impressed by its teachings. This revelation was made by the actor himself in a recent interview.
2. What is Oppenheimer movie and “The Bhagwat Geeta” controversy?
Bhagwat Geeta is a sacred book for Hindus but the way it was portrayed in the Oppenheimer movie is inappropriate. Religious scriptures are not meant to be read anywhere or everywhere. In the scene where Florence Pugh who is portraying Jean Tatlock is involved in establishing an intimate relationship with Dr. Oppenheimer, they indulge the religious book in their conversation where she asks him to translate a verse for him. The translation and what followed the scene are totally out of context and seem like a marketing gimmick to spark controversy by tampering with the emotions of billions of people.
3. Is Oppenheimer movie available in Hindi?
Yes, the movie was released in India on 21 July 2023 dubbed in Hindi. To know more about the downloading options visits the sites mentioned below:
4. Where can I download the Oppenheimer movie?
The Oppenheimer for the time being is not available on any OTT platforms such as Netflix, Hotstar, or Prime Video. You can follow some torrent websites to download any movie including Oppenheimer of 480p, 720p, 1080p, 4k or 8k quality in dual audio mode. I am going to list some of the top-ranking movie-downloading sites here:
- vega movies