To sustain as a successful content writer you need to create a roadmap and upgrade the writing skills essential to thrive in this rapidly changing world. In the digital world, content is the king. Content writing works towards creating blog posts or articles that increase page ranking, brand recognition, engagement, and conversions.
SEO agency reviews matter, so ensure to do due diligence before hiring one.
Content writing checklist
- Create a starter headline, which helps to stick to the topic and deliver information as promised in the title.
- Define your target audience because it becomes easier to address directly through writing.
- Identify your goal because every digital content has to be created with a marketing plan like boosting SEO, building brand awareness, increasing subscribers, etc.
- Assign a primary keyword that represents your topic accurately. It has to be a top keyword in your niche and have the potential to rank.
- Use the primary keyword in the headline, page title, meta description, first paragraph, 2% within the body text, and near the end.
- Ascribe a few secondary keywords that are relevant to your post. The 3 to 4 LSI keywords must be relevant to your primary target keyword.
- Use secondary keywords once in the body.
- Write a post of adaptive length. Ideally, articles between 700 to 1700 words are preferred. This standard is not for every visitor, so keep length in synch with your target audience. The length has to fulfill the purpose if it is an informational guide then the content has to be explanatory and long. If it is a landing page content then to capture leads keep it catchy, short, and concise.
- Add value to the post like facts, stats, details, news, information, and takeaways that is helpful to the target audience.
- Give examples because audiences understand and absorb the message more comfortably. You need to show and not tell!
- Use an active voice to keep the post interesting. A passive voice makes a post appear uninteresting and dull.
- Writing quality has to be high but simple. Never use complex jargons or sentences that lose readers’ interest.
- No plagiarism because it can lead to Google penalties. Create innovative content to avoid plagiarism penalties.
- Provide sources, if information, stats, or quotes are used from other blogs or sites. Proper citations and source links must be provided.
- Use subheadings to split content and text sections. Add primary keywords in one subheading.
- Break big paragraphs or text blocks to add white space and make it easy to read.
- Highlight crucial data because it makes posts easy to skim.
- Add supportive content like images, videos, infographics, embedded social posts, and more to make the post more interesting and engaging.
- Add an image of the right size to avoid hindering the site’s loading speed. Add an alt tag to the image including the primary keyword.
- Internal page linking has to be relevant because it allows users to pursue exploring and possibly convert them to customers. Search engines also get an idea that you are authoritative in a specific niche as you have several pages of relevant content.
- Outbound links need to be SEO-friendly. It means linking to high-quality domains that add value to your website and build quality backlinks.
- End with CTAs [call-to-action] because the content is written with a purpose. A CTA conveys a message to the readers of what steps to take.
All the best!