Whether in high school or middle school, every student needs to create time for study aside from the school’s regular lecture schedule. Creating a study plan is essential for every student who cares about their grade and is willing to have a successful school year. Being a parent, you should be aware that your kid would have to engage in a series of extracurricular activities and social engagements, which could easily divert their attention from the essential part of the school. However, you can create an effective study plan for your child which is necessary for every student who wants to study through school. Below is a guideline to follow if you wish to create an effective study plan for your children.
- Find out their learning style. Every individual has a unique learning style. It would not be easy to study if they do not, first of all, discover the learning style that is unique to them. There are five different learning styles, and they are:
- Visual learning which has to do with what you can see,
- Aural learning, which has to do with what you can hear,
- Verbal learning, which has to do with speech or the use of words,
- Physical learning has to do with using hands to touch stuff and finally
- Logical learning has to do with logical reasoning. You have to discover the one that applies to your children to enable faster and more practical knowledge.
- Make a list of all the material your kid needs to study: Listing all that needs to be studied should be the first line of action when creating a study plan. Making a list of all the subjects your kids have to learn would give them a bright idea of the ground they need to cover. Having listed all the texts and topics, you will be able to monitor their progress by ticking the ones they’ve read and the ones they’re yet to read. In this case, reading everything wouldn’t be a difficult task.
- Utilize their free time: Students do not have to go to school or receive lectures every day; hence they can reserve this free time for studying. The school calendar can be overwhelming, and due to the frequent school activities, one can easily lose concentration of the free time available. Your kids’ free time could be weekends when they are not receiving lectures or the spare two hours they have after class.
- Plan schedule for other activities: As much as your kid might want to study to be an ace student, you also want to make sure that they do not miss out on the fun that comes with being a high school student, so you should plan for the other activities as well. Make a schedule for extracurricular activities they could attend such as Campus organization, Work, Recreation, Family, and most especially, sleep and taking their daily sugar free gummy vitamins. But ensure that these activities do not come in the way of their study.
- Encourage online resources for their study: Different disciplines come with their struggles. Some fields are more technical than others, e.g., arts and science. However, if your kids’ are having issues comprehending what is being taught by their lecturer, you could teach your kids how to use online resources when studying. Studying to be a nurse, for example, can be very challenging, especially when lectures are not comprehensive to the student. If this is your plight, you can make use of online resources/guides by Osmosis. Osmosis’s online resources have carefully selected topics and answers to a wide variety of questions relating to the nursing field. There are other brilliant online resources they can use in their study area.
- Keeping organized notes on lectures and assignments: While creating a study schedule, the first question to ask your children is, “what do you want to study?”. You kid wouldn’t know where to start studying if they do not make notes during lectures, whether online or physically. Good notes are the rationale for the study. They must, however, ensure that they note vital points from the lecturer so that they’ll be able to go back to them during their study time for better comprehension.
Studying for a long time used to be the way out for students in the past, but with the advent of the internet, learning smart is now the way to go. It is essential for every student who wants good grades to study, and you as a parent can encourage them to achieve this by helping your kids create a study schedule. If studying becomes difficult, there are multiple online resources available to help them scale through their journey in school.